OpenBaseMovil
Welcome at » 2008 » March

Every now and then we search Google for OpenBaseMovil to see what the people is saying, how are they using it, etc.

We’ve found many Chinese and other Asian pages talking about it, discussing certain matters about character parsing and other issues, for example.

We’ve also found Arab pages that are trying to help people with OpenBaseMovil.

And even Spanish job offers that ask for OpenBaseMovil knowledge.

We are native Spanish speakers, since we’re from Spain, and though we decided from the start that this site and all that has to do with OpenBaseMovil should be in English for it to be more global, it seems natural that other languages should be incorporated one way or other to the site, and also to the platform documentation.

It is also clear that it is easy for us to test with different languages like English or Spanish and that there should be no problems with other left-to-right occidental languages like German, French, Italian, etc. But it is a whole different issue with Asian languages, and right-to-left languages like Arab or Hebrew, and that is far more difficult for us to try ourselves.

So this call ask for a couple of things from you:

  1. Do you think that we should create sections with translations to other languages?
  2. Would you be willing to collaborate in the task?
  3. Should we create also language-specific sections in the forums? This raises a moderation issue.
BlogLines del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google Reader Yahoo! MyWeb Newsgator Newsvine reddit SlashDot StumbleUpon Technorati

Hi folks,

We’ve been making some tests of the (Open)BaseMovil applications on the BlackBerry emulator (soon in a real device) and also with some Windows Mobile based devices like Qtek S200 and specially an HTC Touch Dual.

Here are some screenshoots of bmSales, our commercial SFA application running there (click to enlarge, on new window):

On the BlackBerry:

On the HTC Touch:

BlogLines del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google Reader Yahoo! MyWeb Newsgator Newsvine reddit SlashDot StumbleUpon Technorati

We have some new features in stock that will come with the 3.1 version, but in the meanwhile we’ve decided to roll out a bug-fix release 3.0.2 which is now available for download at SourceForge and also from the download page in this site.

This release contains some minor modifications to the developer guides (database and quick start) and two bugfixes spotted by Stefan Haacker (thanks Stefan).

People have started to comment on the forums, they are getting alive and start being useful. We are very happy with that and encourage you to collaborate and help us giving life to the forums.

The major changes for the upcoming  release 3.1 are the new storage engine and the new ui engine.

The storage engine will overcome the limitations imposed in the RecordStore size by some devices, such as BlackBerries, Nokia Series40 and Motorola.

The ui engine will provide better support for Nokia Series40 devices and also for touch screen devices. Depending on the schedule, the ui engine might have to wait until 3.2 but we expect to roll it out by 3.1.

BlogLines del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google Reader Yahoo! MyWeb Newsgator Newsvine reddit SlashDot StumbleUpon Technorati